JOHN CHAMBERS BUILDING
PROJECT TYPE: HERITAGE
USE: COMMERCIAL OFFICE
LOCATION: JERVOIS QUAY
CLIENT: WILLIS BOND AND CO
ARCHITECTS: STUDIO PACIFIC ARCHITECTURE
PROJECT TIMEFRAME: 2011-2012
Constructed in 1918, the John Chambers building is the latest in a cluster of heritage buildings restored by LT McGuinness. It sits just across the road from the Free Ambulance Building that now houses the St John’s Bar, the NZX Centre (formerly the Odlins building), and Shed 22, home to Mac’s Brewery Bar.
The John Chambers building with its wedge shape and distinctive ‘bull nose’ has been extensively refitted and strengthened. Long horizontal bands of windows allow excellent views and natural light, and the high stud has allowed mezzanine floors to be incorporated as part of top quality office fit-outs across the three floors.
The building has been leased to major corporate clients including Morrison and Co on the top floor, and Xero on the first and ground floors. Both companies chose LT McGuinness to complete the fit-outs.